Without going much into history, geography and botanics, I'll move to the main point- why is it so good?
- Each fruit of avocado is full of valuable, healthy fats. Actually about 75% of an avocado's calories come from fat, most of which - monounsaturated fat- good for everyone, but especially those fighting cholesterol levels.
- Avocados are also full of potassium (60% more than bananas!) and pholate- this point especially important for all growing bumps on green carpet!
- They are rich in vitamins B, E and K (and contain also others- C, D, P and PP).
- Avocados contain more fiber than other fruits- about 75% insoluble and 25% soluble fiber
- In avocado you will find also a fatty triol (fatty alcohol) with one double bond - Avocadene
Here on green carpet we take good and natural care of our bodies and our children. At the moment we're still "2-in-1", and growing rapidly, so I find that avocado is not just something I really enjoy eating. It's also something I must eat to maintain potassium and pholate balance for me and my baby.
One of the most important ways to take care of your skin is through eating (creams and lotions come last, not first!), and avocado with all vitamins and fats are perfect for feeding my skin so it's healthy and elastic.
If I would have to make the top list of avocado eats we love the most, that would be following:
- Spread on the bread. Either plain ripe avocado with a pinch of salt on top, or make avocado butter- mix ripe avocado with butter softened in warm temperature, some salt and garlic. Mmm...
- Put that in salad- variations are as many as your imagination goes. I particularly like to mix avocado, tomato and mozzarella cheese with some olive oil and balsamico. Or the green leave mix with avocado, cucumber and some dressing. Or salad that joins the amazing tastes of avocado+mango..
- Roll it in crepes- together with salmon and a squeeze some lemon juice.
- On side with everything- I can't think of a dish that you couldn't eat with the avocado on side.. one example- I like it with pan fried potatoes (could go well with chunky chips as well for a party snack, no?)
The new list of what I am going to try very soon:
- Dessert: mix smaller chunks of avocado or blend it together with lime or lemon juice and honey, add toasted sunflower seeds and nuts. Sounds yummy!
- Smoothie: blend it together with freshly squeezed juices (orange, grapefruit, apple, strawberries, bananas etc).
So today's suggestion on green carpet- avocado is great fruit for everybody, especially those of us with bumps!
Extra suggestion- buy organic if you can! And see where it comes from and find out, which supplier goes less miles!