ceturtdiena, 2012. gada 12. janvāris

Story of Electronics

Next Story of Stuff project re-posted on green carpet- on e-waste.
It has always annoyed me that computers and other new age technologies are designed to last so short period. I remember the time when people used to have same cell phone for years.. and have same PC on their desk for years.. now everyone is running to get the latest smart phone, tablet, laptop, screen, TV etc as soon as it is available in store. The worst is that it is not depending on whether the old gadget is still working or not!
Personally I can't do it that way.. I used my PC for many years and then I gave it to someone who is still using it. It's been 8 years since we bought it.. And I still have my laptop, it's about 3 years old. It's surprising, but in technologies 3 years is really old. As one of my close friends who works with computers explained to me- laptops are created to last for about a year, maybe 18 months if you really want.. then- no matter what you change in programs and software- the hardware slowly dies.. Well, mine is a bit slow. OK, my husband says he gets old while doing anything on it. But I manage to read, write, watch videos, listen to the music. Humorous part- maybe it's good that it's slower than some others- it teaches patience and slow living.
Of course, the time will come for me to change it inevitably, but then - I'm happy that nowadays I can choose laptops that are designed from recycled materials, few companies are having at least some green policies and maybe, if I wait long enough, the super-green technologies will come out from the experimental stages and I'll use them..

But for now- I feel sorry when I see how people are rushing into gadget stores to have more and more e-junk at home. And I believe that the greatest devil who started this super-speedy overconsumption of technologies was Steve Jobs with his least green company in the world- Apple. Do you know any other company that makes people change most of their gadgets every year or whenever newest model is out? And here's a little insight in how Apple creates all this junk revealed by the Ecologist. And remember-toxics in, toxics out. While some companies like Samsung, GreenPC and others are going green, carbon neutral etc, Apple seems to stay it's way forever. Well, I hope it will crash down soon in a modern world where there's increasing demand of green, sustainable and ethical technologies.

Comment on e-waste now. If your gadget producers don't offer take back, use someone who collects all the e-waste not depending on the producer. While I was living in the UK, I found some companies that utilize the e-waste, you can even send them via Royal Mail in the package. I sent them some stuff like- mouse, cell charger, some old cells, and all it cost me was couple of stamps. I believe there are companies like this everywhere, we just have to dig deeper and find out how they deal with that stuff.

But now- time to enjoy some funny stories about serious stuff:
"The Story of Electronics employs the Story of Stuff style to explore the high-tech revolution's collateral damage—25 million tons of e-waste and counting, poisoned workers and a public left holding the bill. Host Annie Leonard takes viewers from the mines and factories where our gadgets begin to the horrific backyard recycling shops in China where many end up. The film concludes with a call for a green 'race to the top' where designers compete to make long-lasting, toxic-free products that are fully and easily recyclable." Annie Leonard



I would love to have toxic-free, recycled material and long lasting technologies.


Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru