svētdiena, 2011. gada 20. februāris

BBC Human Planet

Yesterday it was a TV time on green carpet, I watched 5 episodes of the Human Planet- just couldn't stop.
BBC Human Planet is one of the best shows lately- breath taking, emotional, catching and with a strong ang long impact..
It is truly amazing how many people of the world still live within the nature, with so much respect for nature. And they are so free. Free of schedules, clocks, supermarkets.. No matter where they live- on the ocean (literally, some are born on the boat and almost never get on land), in desert, in jungle, in arctic.. they DON'T WASTE ANYTHING! All water is saved and used and reused again where the resource is scarse. What they hunt- they eat it all, nothing is thrown out. Not like us, people, in the cities- we buy food, we use half of it and let the rest rot, go old and throw it out after. I personally hate throwing food, it was not acceptable where I grew up, so I tend not to do it now. But these people- they are amazing. They take from the nature only as much as they need and not a drop of water, not an animal, not a tree more. And they live better than we do- they are way more happier, they do everything according to the laws of their natural habitat and their traditions that are thousands of years old.
Watching their lives does not only take my breath away and makes me a bit jealous of their freedom and oneness with nature.. It also makes me incredibly sad.. Sad about myself first of all, how far from it all I am now, living in the city and eating dessert after dinner while watching it now.. And believe me, the next bite just won't go down my throat, when I hear a man, living in the desert, who says- catching a fish is like opening door to heaven. Or a Inuits in Arctic, who goes for a dangerous narwhal hunt once a year to feed their families. I hate this consumerism in me, and I can't eat no more. I shouldn't, because I w
as well eaten already.
Another reason I'm so terribly sad is how we, people living in "civilisation", are destroying the living space of these amazing tribes who live with no governments, no passports and no money when they trade if they do at all. That Brazilian operator must fly over jungle and film uncontacted tribes just to prove they are there, so somebody wouldn't go in mining and harvesting timber and pretending that these people were not there. I'm sad because only 2% of our Planet now is covered with rainforests and it's amazing world deep in there that is being killed. That people in far North cities are not safe because polar bears must come into the cities and look for food as their natural habitat is taken over by humans and because global warming has melted the ice and they can't hunt anymore. I could go on and on and on.. but we all know what I'm talking about.. we are the ones responsible for that.. We should be responsible for saving lives and traditions of these people, isn't enough we have destroyed our own? And they are the only ones that can show us - people can live differently. And they can teach us a lot more than any textbook will.
I was thinking about it all when I fell sleep and still when I woke up this morning. How to live my life to get at least few steps closer where they are? And I think the first would be to follow just a few simple steps:
  • don't take (read: buy) what you don't really need! (it is a waste of resources)
  • take good care of what you have so it doesn't break, rot or wear off too soon!
  • fix things instead of throwing out! (unless it is huge energy consumer like very old refrigerator or so)
  • DON'T WASTE anything- use all food, all resource you have with care and respect. 
I can't do it yet for all 100%, but I can try to live this a little more each day. And here on green carpet I swear to do it in front of myself, my children, my Planet.
Today- I  will waste less, use things better, and watch another episode of Human Planet.
And that I also suggest to you, whoever is reading here on green carpet!
BBC Human Planet

Nav komentāru:

Ierakstīt komentāru